Book Review Competition 2020
We are excited to announce the launch of the academy’s ‘Book Review Competition 2020’. Students currently in year 7 and students joining us in September are invited to take part and enter.
There are prizes to be won!
The winning reviews will be published on the school’s website. The winner for the ‘Best book review’ will be awarded a £20 book token, with two runner-up prizes, each winning a £10 book token.
How do enter...
To enter, you need to read and review a book listed on the academy’s Year 6 & 7 recommended reads. Your review must be no longer than 300 words. Once you are ready to write your review, click here and complete the competition entry form.
Tell us what you liked or didn't like...
Below we have provided a few tips on how to write a review to get you started. Other readers will always be interested in other people’s opinion of books. Whether you've loved the book or not, it helps other readers to find their next book.
We hope that you enjoy reading one or all of our ‘recommended reads’ and we look forward to reading your reviews.
Happy reading and good luck,
Book review writing tips
1. Start with a couple of sentences describing what the book is about, but don’t reveal the storyline. As a general rule, avoid writing in detail about anything that happens from the middle of the book onwards.
2. Discuss what you really liked about the book. Write about how the story made you feel and the way it was told. Try answering a couple of the following questions:
- Who was your favourite character, and why?
- Did the characters feel real to you?
- Did the story keep you guessing?
- Did the book make you laugh or cry?
- What was the best bit of the story?
3. It's important to mention anything you disliked about the book. For example was it too scary or was the storyline hard to follow.
4. Round up your review. You must always summarise your thoughts on the book, you can do this by suggesting the type of reader you'd recommend the book to. Or by comparing it to another book.
5. Lastly give the book a rating, for example a mark out of ten. Ten being you would highly recommend this book and zero, you would recommend to leave ‘this’ book on the shelf.
- The review you submit must be your own work
- There is a word limit, your review can be no longer than 300 words
- You must review a book listed on the academy’s Year 6 & 7 recommended reads
- All reviews entered in the competition may be published on the academy website
- The last day to enter the competition is Monday 8 June 2020
- You can enter more than one review
- The competition winners will be announced Friday 3 July 2020.